Sunday 10 July 2011

Thought for the day - Just 2 bags!

So today, I was really disappointed when I walked the dogs on the beach and saw the amount of rubbish that the wind and waves had brought ashore. The usually pristine beach was full of rubbish, foam, polystyrene, flip flops (so many and never a pair), bottles, plastic and of course lighters. You hear about these plastic islands that are floating around our oceans and it is so sad when you see it what we humans have done to our environment.

It is sad to see this on the beach, but imagine the damage it is doing to our aquatic life as turtles and other mammals eat the rubbish we throw away. Unfortunately we don't have to imagine because researchers all over the world are finding it in the stomachs of dead turtles.

Luckily the storm also washed up some bags, including 2 rather large rice bags, and so i did a mini-clean up, to be honest it didn't really make a difference but it did make me promise myself that each time I go on the beach i will take at least 2 bags to fill up before I return. 2 bags is not going to make a huge difference, but it did make me feel like I was doing my bit and will stop a lot of rubbish going back into the sea when the storm subsides. Maybe if we all took just 5 minutes every time we got on the beach to just fill 2 bags then we could make a difference. Just because you didn't throw the rubbish away isn't an excuse not to pick it up, it is our world and we all have a responsibility to it.

Maybe you don't want to do 2 bags but how about instead of just picking up your own rubbish, that you take just 30 seconds to pick up a few more items on the way to the bin? It's not much is it? but imagine if everyone did it, what a difference that would make!

Mellisa

No comments:

Post a Comment